As a member of Massage & Myotherapy Australia you will be part of a supportive and influential massage association that organises and promotes the profession of members by encouraging high standards of knowledge and proficiency.
A Massage & Myotherapy Australia membership provides many opportunities for professional development, ongoing support and education, as well as access to a network of like-minded professionals.
Being a member of an Association displays to potential clients a strong and clear dedication to massage and myotherapy both as an Industry and as a chosen profession.
- Who is eligible?
- Accepted Qualifications
- What do I need to Join?
- Membership types and fees
- Certification and Statutory Declaration
- Upgrading Categories
- Join Online
To uphold our core values of quality and excellence in the field of massage and Myotherapy, Massage & Myotherapy Australia requires all members to meet our criteria and to hold specific qualifications. You must be over 18 years of age and have completed a course of study in massage therapy recognised by the National Board of Directors. If you are previously a AAMT member and you wish to rejoin, please contact the Massage & Myotherapy Australia office on 1300 138 872 to discuss re-joining.
To become a member of Massage & Myotherapy Australia you must be currently enrolled in or hold one of the following qualifications:
- HLT40302 or HLT40307 or HLT40312 or HLT42015 Certificate IV in Massage Therapy Practice
- HLT50302 or HLT50307 or HLT52015 Diploma of Remedial Massage
- 21920VIC or 21511VIC or 22248VIC or 22316VIC Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy
- 10052NAT Advanced Diploma of Health Science (Soft Tissue Therapy)
- 30836QLD Cert IV Musculoskeletal Therapy
- 30837QLD Diploma of Musculoskeletal Therapy
- 30844QLD Advanced Diploma of Musculoskeletal Therapy
- Bachelor of Health Science (Musculoskeletal Therapy)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Clinical Myotherapy)
Massage & Myotherapy Australia does not accept overseas qualifications. You will need to have your qualifications mapped/assessed by a Recognised Training Organisation (RTO) that delivers the courses recognised by Massage & Myotherapy Australia.You may also be eligible for a ‘qualification assessment’ through Vetassess.
Please note: Massage & Myotherapy Australia does not accept a Vetasses equivalency for membership solely and you will need to speak to an RTO regarding Recognised Prior Learning, for more information see Vetasses.com.au.
Once the RTO has successfully assessed your qualification against the Australian Standard and you have been awarded the equivalent Australian Qualification, you may apply for membership with Massage & Myotherapy Australia.
If you are a member of another Association that recognises massage and Myotherapy with the above qualifications, to become a member of Massage & Myotherapy Australia please contact us on 1300 138 872.
Please note, there is no ‘Transfer’ available between Associations, you are required to join as a new member and you may be eligible for a discount.
Applicants for Membership may either choose to join online or lodge an application via mail (see Forms below). When lodging your application, please ensure you include the following documentation, this is imperative to ensuring your application is processed within 10 business days of reciept. Processing commences from the receipt of all required documentation.
- Massage Education Details – A certified* certificate and full transcript. For student memberships, attach a certified* letter from your school confirming your enrollment.
- Copy of First Aid certificate
- Certificate of Currency (Insurance documentation)
- Statutory Declaration – signed, dated and witnessed (see forms)
- Remedial applications require a letter from your college indicating that you meet the Medibank and HCF education criteria (if eligible for Health Funds)
Upon joining, members are required to declare their ongoing compliance with the AAMT (Massage & Myotherapy Australia) Constitution, Code of Ethics (annually), Standards of Practice, and Continuing Professional Education requirements.
Original and copies of documents can be certified by taking them to a person who is authorised to witness/certify. Persons who are authorised to witness/certify (under the Commonwealth Statutory Declarations Act 1959) include members of certain professions such as chiropractor, dentist, legal practitioner, medical practitioner, nurses or Pharmacist. For a full list please see Statutory Declaration.
Massage & Myotherapy Australia currently offers 6 categories of membership, Ordinary(Therapeutic, Remedial, Advanced), Associate (Student), Affiliate and Life, Adacemic and Retiring.
Massage & Myotherapy Australia designation of Therapeutic, Remedial and Advanced is conferred upon an individual holding one of the following qualifications as defined in the National Training Package and the Australian Qualifications Framework.
||$209 annual membership fee + one off application fee $110|
||$245 membership fee + one off Application fee $110|
|Advance||AQF6 & Above||
||$245 membership fee + one off Application fee $110|
AN ADMINISTRATION FEE OF $25 (including GST) WILL BE CHARGED FOR CANCELLATION OF ALL MEMBERSHIP. THE APPLICATION FEE OF $110 IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
Student membership is available to students who are currently enrolled at a Registered Training Organisation studying one of the qualifications listed above. On completion of your studies, students are able to upgrade their membership.
Student Membership is FREE.
Please read the Massage & Myotherapy Australia ‘Choosing an RTO Frequently Asked Questions‘ for tips on choosing the right RTO and information on eligibility with the Private Health Funds.
For a complete list of RTO’s please visit training.gov.au
Affiliate Membership is awarded to individuals or organisations not qualified under the sections above but who are interested in massage therapy and the work of Massage & Myotherapy Australia, For example, Registered Training Organisations, those that work in the health industry such as physiotherapists, osteopaths, nurses, consumable sales (oils, tables etc).
An Affiliate Membership is not open to anyone who practices massage in any capacity. Those not eligible for Affiliate Membership may wish to consider a Massage & Myotherapy Journal Subscription to keep up to date with industry knowledge.
Life members are awarded membership via nomination, conferred annually and may be appointed by the Board of Directors provided they meet the following requirements ;
- An Ordinary Member of the Company for at least 7 years; or
- A Director of the Company for at least 5 years; and
To be appointed for Life membership the potential member must have made a significant contribution to
- The Association or;
- The occupation of massage therapy or myotherapy
In response to member requests, Massage & Myotherapy has introduced an ‘Adacemic Member’ level. If the following criteria apply to you, you may be eligible for this Membership Level. In order to be eligible for this membership level you are required to meet the following requirements :
- Practicing no more than 0.4 outside of college
- AQF 5 level and above
- Insurance provided by college
- First Aid
- Signed Statutory Declaration
- Confirm that you are Teaching at 0.6 or more academic employment.
In response to member requests, Massage & Myotherapy has introduced a ‘Retiring Member’ level. If the following criteria apply to you, you may be eligible for this Membership Level. In order to be eligible for this membership level you are required to meet the following requirements :
- 65 years of age or over
- Maximum of five clients per week
- Current Insurance
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Signed Statutory Declaration
- Confirm that you do not require Approved Provider Status with the private
health fundsBack to top
Upon joining, members are required to declare their ongoing compliance with the AAMT (Massage & Myotherapy Australia) Constitution, Code of Ethics (annually), Standards of Practice, and Continuing Professional Education requirements.Original and copies of documents can be certified by taking them to a person who is authorised to witness/certify. The Witness may stamp or write on the copies ‘Certified True and Correct Copy’. Persons who are authorised to witness/certify (under the Commonwealth Statutory Declarations Act 1959) include members of certain professions such as Chiropractor, Dentist, Legal Practitioner, Justice of the Peace, Medical Practitioner, Nurse, and Pharmacists. For a full list please see Statutory Declaration and click here to find a Justice of the Peace near you.
Current members of AAMT (Massage & Myotherapy Australia) have the option to upgrade their memberships by submitting an upgrade form (see Forms below).
Student to Massage Therapist
$264 (inc. application fee of $55)
Student to Remedial or Advance
$355 (inc. application fee of $110)
Massage Therapist to Remedial or Advance
$55 (no application fee)
* AN ADMINISTRATION FEE OF $25 (including GST) WILL BE CHARGED FOR CANCELLATION OF ALL MEMBERSHIP. THE APPLICATION FEE OF $110 is NON-REFUNDABLE.
The online application is only applicable to therapists who have not previously been a member or upgrading. Please allow 15 to 30 minutes of uninterrupted time to ensure the process can be completed. .Please have the following handy before commencing the ‘Join Online’ Proces:>
- Credit Card Details (if paying by Credit Card)
- Clinic Address Details (If available)
- Membership Application Form
- Student Member Application Form
- Academic Member application Form
- Affiliate Member Application Form
- Retiring Application Form
- Upgrade Application Form (MT to RMT only)
- Statutory Declaration